A Travellerspoint blog

Everything's difficult at altitude!!!!

The day after we arrived back to Cuzco after completing the Inka Trail we were off to Puno. We had booked a 5 hour bus to Puno which included stopping at several Inka sites. After Machu Picchu nothing really compares so it was a bit disappointing.
We arrived in Puno in the afternoon, had a wonder around and then went to bed for some much needed sleep.

The next day we had a wonder down to Lake Titicaca port. The lake itself is the world’s largest high altitude lake at 3800 metres above sea level and covering 8400 sq km’s.
At this altitude it was still very difficult to do anything, even at night I used to constantly wake up short of breath thinking someone was trying to suffocate me!

Puno is not the best town in the world. We walked around the main streets…it didn’t take long and we were thinking we had made a wrong decision in booking to stay here for 3 days. There really isn’t much to do unless you do the lake tours.
We had a look around different tour companies and found a 1 day tour we liked so booked it for the next day. Then, we went to bed early ready for another early rise.


We were picked up in the morning for our island tour and were met with glorious sunshine.
We boarded our boat and headed off out of the harbour to our first stop.
Uros Island is a floating island made of reeds. The island is built using layers of buoyant totora reeds. There are 50 of these small islands in total, each housing different families.


We were greeted by some short fat women in brightly coloured dress and soon were given a little dance, some reeds to chew on and a tour.
All very interesting how they manage to lead a normal life on what seems to be an unstable floating island.
After this we were ushered into see their houses and were shown an array of goods they wanted to sell us.
Leah decided to buy a hand-sewn tapestry.

Next it was off to Taquile Island, this was a long 2 hour journey so we decided to head up on top of the boat to get some sleep and sun.
Once we arrived we walked to the top of the Island. Still at 3800 metres above sea level this was hard work, even though it only took 25 minutes.
We had a look around the main square and then went off to have some lunch.
After a bit more of a look around the island we headed back to the boat and then returned to Puno.


At the end of our time in Puno we caught a flight to Arequipa. Unfortunately for us we only had one afternoon here. If we didn’t have to move on we could have stayed a lot longer.


The city is beautiful, very European in style and the Cathedral in the main square has a backdrop of snow-capped mountains.
We only had time to look around the centre of the city before our trip overland from Peru into Chile.


Posted by LeahPaul 13:20

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint